Friday, May 11, 2007

Insert Snappy Title Here:

Dear Self,

So, the world is unfair, but you knew that already. After learning, listening, and observing oppression of all kinds (various kinds anyway) for a semester I do not know exactly how to react. I feel passionate, but I feel very small. I want to speak out, protest, and criticize, but I am not sure how. Maybe, like Andrea Ayvazian and bell hooks, I will have to stay small scale. I know it sounds cheesy but maybe I have to love.

Love will play a significant part in my future role. Love and acceptance open the door for discussion, change, and setting a positive example. I realize how idealistic this sounds, but all I know how to do is live my life, trying to make the little differences I can, staying aware of my role in cycles of oppression, and making a conscious effort to disrupt these cycles.

These seemingly small steps are all that seem practical to me at this point. Anything large scale, for me, is too daunting and soul draining. I appreciate those who are dedicated and organized on large scales, but I do not feel capable of dedicating my life in occupational forms to something like that. I care too much to throw myself into activism in that way. Like changing school systems, or becoming involved in environmental issues, I cannot overly invest myself. Maybe that is a cop out. I feel like half of the classes I have taken in college are asking me to invest my life in an idea… and these ideas are often in conflict. The conclusion I have come to is that small, slow, and steady is how I will proceed; otherwise, I will lose all hope.

PS. Check this out!

1 comment:

B. Weaver said...

Baby Steps Toward Justice?
Perhaps that's a snappy title?