Thursday, January 25, 2007

Reaction to Lost Medium

My favorite media are probably aim (aol instant messaging), my cell phone, and letters. For this contemplation I will deal with aim. Aim is my favorite medium of communication because it is fast, informal, and so easy to multi-task with. As we have discussed in class, the multi-tasking element speaks to the world today and what communication has become. One of the reasons that I like instant messaging is because I can do my homework, surf the internet, and talk to multiple people all at the same time, sometimes throwing a television show in the mix. I can also use aim as much as I want without the concern of going over my cell phone minutes, and unlike letters it is instant. When I send letters it takes a month maybe more to have a dialogue, sometimes making the information insignificant. That slower pace is refreshing and my friends and I enjoy the novelty of writing letters by hand, but it is still just a novelty and I like it because it is out of the ordinary routine.
As for what I would do if aim was taken away forever? That depends upon whether everyone else had it, and if something better would take its place. If the scenario was something like I alone was blocked from the aim network due to some kind of infraction (or more realistically because I could not afford the internet on because I was paying for food and health insurance instead) I would be devastated. It would be a serious loss. Not only is aim my main means of communication with friends and family around the country, but it is also a convenient tool on campus. Instead of hazarding a phone call or a door knock that could wake someone up, I can just send them an im. It would be as though someone had taken away a friend. Like when you were a kid and your mom or dad or grandma said "you are not to play with that boy anymore." All of a sudden something and someone who was a part of your life has been taken away, even though they are still around. Granted I would still have my friends, but a lack of aim would diminish the contact I have with people that I would not hear from otherwise. I would get over the loss, but for a while it would be greatly missed.

No comments: